Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Shopoholic? Me?

It started with a rainy day in Feb '07. I was in Victoria. I'd just arrived via greyhound bus from home town Nanaimo. Going back to school. Pretty depressed. When I'm depressed the one thing that is always guaranteed to turn my mood around is of course, shopping!
Lucky for me Victoria has a scattering of pretty decent clothing destinations. And even more lucky the one shop that sells high end designer fashion like Michael Kors, Lacoste and others happens to be located right around the corner from the bus depot where I was that day. (K well closer to The Empress Hotel, but for this story we'll say it's closer).
I wondered in to the tiny boutique packed full of delicious designer goods, suitcase in hand, back-pack strapped on-not so classy I know). The lovely, bubbly shopgirl greeted me with a surprisingly cheerful and non-judgmental smile (considering the suitcase and back-pack fandango).
"We're having a great sale today, half off all Michael Kors coats".

Words my wallet didn't really need to hear, but my heart thumped faster!

I spotted them straight away. I large rack of lavish, gorgeous coats just waiting to be petted. So I did! They were all so soft, so many colors to choose from. They all looked at me with expectant eyes..."Try me! Feel me!" I felt obligated (it was SO difficult-not) to try a few on. First the classic camel, then the red, skipped the brown, and then my love-Black. I picked a long, velvety coat. It fit just right, hugged my hips and shoulders. C'est magnifique!

The shopgirl wrapped it up in tissue paper very carefully (as if it was gonna stay in the paper for more than an hour until I got back home, ha!). I plopped down some plastic (debit unfortunately, Visa is so much classier) and walked out the door. It probably took walking half way to the bus stop before the rational part of my brain kicked in and the crack in the air inside the store wore off when I started processing the practicality of my purchase, both for my wardrobe and bank account.
Well classic peice so duh! Yes to wardrobe, and bank account? What bank account? I'm pretty sure it's close to empty now anyway. But I'm still happy so whatever!

4 comments:

  1. In NYCR? I don't think that's gonna happen. Although there was this one cute store I remember maybe it's still there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where was this store? Was it near government and the Empress? I think I know the one you are talking about...I think it's an oyster bar now though...cause Victoria needs more Oyster bars...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...