Thursday, January 14, 2010

Le Grand Chapeau



Today it was raining, it's January on Vancouver Island, I'm not sure why I expected something different.
Anyways, I decided to wear my big wool hat, my long leather gloves and my wool capelette (sp?).

Wow, the myriad of reactions I got from people about the hat! I couldn't believe it! (well I could, it's Nanaimo).

Girl from work said "WOW! You look really good! Are you trying to hide your hair? Or did you just want to wear a hat?" Compliment killed.

Boss at work "Aviva? I didn't recognize you!" As if I put a hat on and wow, new Face!

Cafeteria woman on campus: "That's a good idea instead of an umbrella. We only have so many hands!" Practical comment I guess.

I actually got a normal compliment from a complete stranger at the bus stop who just politely said "Very pretty hat." Thanks!

Save the BEST for last. Most awkward and ridiculously funny comment from guy in theater building: "That hat is scary! I mean, it's big, and black...I mean, it's nice, but it's intimidating...You're just gonna keep shaking your head at me aren't you?...ok, well...ya..." Biting my lip!

Well, I think people should wear hats more often. They are NOT scary. The right hat on the right person brightens up the ensemble. Sure it brings a sense of mystery, but don't we all want to be a little aloof sometimes? It's not always just something to be worn on bad hair days, all though it has it's advantages.

People, mission for next week: Wear a hat one day! Don't have one? Buy one! Love it! Wear it! Pick your fav color and make sure it looks damn good! You've gotta have the right state of mind to wear a hat! You've gotta OWN IT! Don't let the hat wear you!

Bonne Chance!

8 comments:

  1. I wear a hat everyday and if anything, they make you look sexier! I get all kinds of stares and gazes in class...the only reason I can think of why they are staring is because the hat makes you sexy!

    We should start a hat nation. Those dicks who wear the baseball caps with the stickers still left on them aren't invited though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wore a fedora the other day.
    Head = dry.
    It was fantastic but my gf thought I looked like brittney spears haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aviva, I too have a mission to bring hats back! I have an awesome hat I wear every day and soooo many people comment on it. Hats make you look put together! There was a time when no lady left the house without wearing a hat and gloves!

    I wanted to buy a similar hat to the one you are wearing, But I thought it was too out there for Calgary! But you have inspired me and I think I may purchase one like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh! Here it is! LOVE it, WORK it. I need to buy a hat. I have a small head and I'm convinced I look ridiculous every time I put one on. Maybe you could be my personal shopper and offer some great advice. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where As NO Hat In This Earth Can Fit On My MELLON Head!

    I Did Like This Look & That Person Did Not Know What He Was Talking About… Long Sleeve Baseball Shirt In Fall-Winter… FAIL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your head looks like the size of an acorn when you where that hat. How's that for a comment? Just joking. I don't know why people are so afraid of hats. There was a time when everyone wore hats and if you weren't wearing one, you were weird then. It's all about fitting in and being "mainstream."

    ReplyDelete
  7. John Galliano said (paraphrasing):Me not wearing a hat is like a teapot without a lid.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...