Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Stoppin' the Tankers

Tomorrow I will be shooting on location at Sebastian Beach in Lanztville. I have four lovely models this time three of which have already appeared on my blog, Shena, Teresa and Rachelle and a newbie to the group, Sam. I am very much looking forward to this new shoot. This is probably the first shoot with a concept that is very dear to my heart and also for many of my followers, it is a topic close to home.


It is an anti-oil shoot and more specifically targeted at stopping the proposed pipelines in B.C. One pipeline proposed by the company Enbridge called the Northern Gateway Pipeline would run right through the Great Bear Rainforest in B.C. one of the last completely intact temperate rain forests in the world and home to the endangered Spirit Bear not to mention countless other wildlife. It would run from the tar sands in Alberta to Kitimat, B.C. Once there, super tankers would have to wind their way through a maze of narrow channels and points, at some places making almost ninety-degree turns. All of this plus imagine doing that in the middle of our winter storms! Good luck! In Burnaby, B.C., Kinder Morgan wants to twin their already existing Trans Mountain Pipeline and expand the amount of tankers leaving the Burrard Inlet. Because these super tankers are so big (they are longer than the Eiffel Tour is tall) this would require dredging the harbor, basically scrapping and digging into the bottom of the ocean floor ruining an ecosystem. 


By doing this photo shoot my hope is to spread the word on what is happening on our remarkable coast. I travel a lot and whenever I tell people where I'm from they always say "You are so lucky to live there. It is one of the most beautiful places in the world". Well, I say let's keep it that way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...